Sunday, October 2, 2022

Banqueting House

All that remains of Whitehall Palace, once the largest palace in Europe, is Banqueting House.  Built by James I in 1620, Banqueting House was mostly used for the performance of masques, grand theatrical productions with elaborate stage design.  The masques were moved elsewhere when Peter Paul Ruben's paintings glorifying the legacy of James I were installed in the Banqueting House ceiling during the reign of James's son Charles I.  Charles I was beheaded on a balcony of Banqueting House in 1649; his execution for high treason was witnessed by thousands in the street below.  The monarchy was thus abolished but eventually restored in 1660 by Charles's son Charles II.  360 years later, Charles III has just ascended to the throne. 

A portrait of Charles I replaces the
window thru which he stepped onto the
balcony where he was beheaded.

Ceiling by Peter Paul Rubens.




James I sat here upon his throne while
watching the masques.


James I depicted at center (in red robes).






Exiting Banqueting House onto Whitehall

Rear facade of Banqueting House

 

1 comment:

  1. Like me most people might have learned about Charles I in school and then just forgot. A very different monarchy today . Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete