Friday, December 27, 2019

A Short Walk in Chelsea

Friday, December 27, 2019: Today I left the flat with my new camera but I forgot to bring my SD card so I could not take any photos which is a shame because I seriously want to photograph, well, almost everything in London.  Eddie and I had lunch, a toothsome French lentil stew, at Juicebaby on King's Road in Chelsea.  The café is located a few doors from Vivienne Westwood's World's End boutique at 430 King's Road; this is an address which significantly sparked the punk rock youth sub-culture movement of the 1970s.  Walking among the streets of Chelsea, I was struck by the fact that every building we passed was architecturally significant and every street veritably clean.  Walking down St. Leonard's Terrace I passed the house (now marked with a blue plaque) where Irish writer Bram Stoker lived before he wrote his novel Dracula.  Finally, we stopped into Holy Trinity Church on Sloane Square built in the late 1800s in the arts and crafts style. Eddie said the stained glass in the east window (designed by Birmingham-born artist Edward Burne-Jones) was perhaps the most beautiful stained glass window he ever saw.  Parts of Holy Trinity church were damaged during the war but restored to its original appearance.  It is worth noting that many churches in West London are open everyday for whoever wants to say a prayer or just look around.  And sometimes it seems as if there is a beautiful church every few blocks, in any direction, that one wanders.  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment