Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Fen Noodle & Ottolenghi, Spitalfields

Old Spitalfield's Market is a covered market in East London, filled with stalls selling street food from around the world. At lunchtime the market is jam-packed with long queues of hungry office workers and tourists.  I elected to order my lunch from Fen Noodles known for its hand-pulled Chinese noodles made with wheat dough and rolled and stretched by hand into long strips.  They are made fresh on-site, cooked immediately, and served with spicy sauces.  I ordered the vegan dry mix thin noodles topped with vegan dumplings and garnished with chives and tofu crisps. The noodles were pleasingly piquant and the dumplings may have been the best dumplings I have ever tasted.  



After lunch, Eddie and I walked a few blocks to Ottolenghi, a popular and chic restaurant chain owned by Israeli-born British chef Yotam Asaf Ottolenghi.  The chain is only found in London although the Ottolenghi cookbook is a bestseller around the world. I had a plum tarte with a Mocha to drink and Eddie had a pistachio and plum Frangipane with a Black Americano.  My tarte, while delicious, was a little too fancy-schmancy, having just eaten a bowl of earthy noodles.  I love Ottolenghi, however.







1 comment:

  1. Oh...I could not find the comments. Keith loves Chinese food so I was reading him the meals you have had. It looks like you both are out and about again and REALLY you could write a travel book on London.

    ReplyDelete